Thursday, 29 May 2014

Stop Moments

Living inquiry… it seeks awareness that sees newness, truth, and beauty in daily life.”
                                                    -Karen Meyer


                                                        Sunset at English Bay, April 2014, J. Turkovic

Last weekend, Lynn asked us to write about a stop moment we have experienced, similar to our discussion in class that Saturday morning. This got me thinking. We are so busy and caught up with our tasks and daily life, so do we really recognize stop moments even when they happen? I feel that we are sometimes rushing through our endless to do lists to truly pause and think about those profound “aha moments” even they present themselves. However, I feel like I have been experiencing a series of mini stop moments lately. Little things in life make me happy… a sunny day, having enough coins to do laundry, a good cup of coffee, snuggling on the couch, hearing a good song on the radio… So I guess my aha moment is the importance of being grateful with what you have and being able to truly appreciate it. I sincerely believe this leads to happiness and emotional well-being which in turn leads to overall health! Josh’s story got me thinking about a friend of mine who had twins at the age of 23. I reflected how different our lives are even though we are similar in age…

I have included a picture of one of my seawall walks last month. After what looked like a grey and cloudy afternoon, the sun peeked out just in time for an amazingly beautiful sunset. I couldn't tear my eyes away. In that moment I was completely at peace, in awe of the beauty of nature, immersed in the moment and full of gratitude to live in such a beautiful city and have the life that I do. The little prince recalls sunsets as moments of sadness; to me they have a much different effect!

No comments:

Post a Comment