Good afternoon everyone, on this mysteriously foggy day!
There's something both peaceful and intriguing on days like this and it's got me reflecting on the past month and a half. Wow, what a whirlwind it has been; I can't believe we're well into October!
In class, we've had extensive discussions on what health and wellness means to us. I find that the describing word I always come back to is balance; it's my golden rule for everything! But what exactly is balance and how can one measure it? Everyone has their own interpretation and just like Daniel Stern states that everyone has a "vitality signature", I would like to propose that everyone has a "wellness signature" and "balance signature" as well. Let me elaborate.
To me, balance is finding the time, after busy work and school schedules, to be able to spend time with my loved ones, have some fun with friends and also find some time for myself. In this flurry of activities, I also want to make sure that I eat properly, exercise, and have just a little bit of time to "do nothing" :) I need that alone time to best recharge and I find that if I am constantly on the go, I tend to get cranky. Therefore, I need to have time for all of these activities, but how much is enough? I can't exactly explain it, it's just something that I feel internally.
On the other hand, another person's idea of balance may be completely different. I have definitely come across individuals who function best when they are at extreme end of the spectrum and to them this is "balance", almost and all or nothing approach.
Back to me... I appears that I may have piled things a little too high for myself lately. In addition to going back to school, working two jobs and my weekly commute to Galiano Island, I also moved in September. Therefore, my back to school month was coupled with unpacking and lots of organizing (still haven't really gotten around to decorating), as well as establishing a daily routine with my wonderful boyfriend
As I sat drinking my tea this morning and looking out into the fog, I finally felt a sense of serenity and that I am close to being "balanced out" again!

Great post Jovana! I think it's an extrovert/introvert thing. I'm a complete introvert, really needing the time alone to 'recharge'. Others need to be around people, gaining energy from them. I'm glad things have settled down for you and you're able to chill a bit.
ReplyDeletehi Jovana.
ReplyDeletereading your post, i really related! i feel like that elephant in your pic! its definitely difficult to create or find that "balance" and feel like you are giving your full attention when it is important. i like that you found some quiet alone time to reflect - i will definitely try to do this as well.